If You Could See Inside...

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Scapegoat


Blame is something we need in our lives, it's true. We may blame ourselves, we may blame other people, sometimes it's warranted, and sometimes it's not. I work for an insurance company. I love my job, no joke I really do. But usually, when a client has to call our office about something, it's not about how cute their new puppy is. Something happened to their home or car, and they're pissed. Rightfully so, no doubt. I love it when an irate client calls, I always get the "I know this isn't you're fault but...." and they proceed to chew me out for the next 15 minutes. I'm totally cool with that, I get paid decent money for it, but at the end of the day, I'm wondering, why, why the hell are jobs created just for people to bitch?

In our society, we need to blame someone, anyone for our problems. Even if it is ourself, it doesn't matter. Once we attach someone, anyone to such a problem, I think it gives us a sense of control over it, even if in reality, we really don't have any more control, whether blame was in the picture or not. This idea has been reinforced in my life recently not only with my job but pretty much everything else (it's so poetic how it all works out).

We need control, that's how we get through the day. I think that's okay to a point, but sometime, we need to realize that we can just be angry, and not attach an @ symbol to it. It is so refreshing to realize that you in fact don't have control over what is going on (unless whatever you're problem is is self inflicted, then this usually doesn't apply and I offer no sympathy) and it's okay to be angry, and you don't have to be angry at anyone. For me, this has brought such a sense of peace, and it seems like the most obvious thing, but I guess for some people it's just not. Stop the blame, forgive, be forgived, love, and at the end of the day, we might be alright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home