If You Could See Inside...

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The X Number of Wonders

Milestones. Let's pick this word apart. Mile - something of somewhat considerable length. Stone - something big, something used for marking. Milestones are what we measure our life with, often times. We graduate high school, we get our first real job or go to college, we get married, we have kids. I once heard that our lives are compiled of just a few really important days, those probably being the so-called milestones. But what about the in between? Sure, these stones mark events, but what about all the growth, the real meat of life? I like to call these mile glaciers. If you think this sounds ridiculous, you're probably right. But let me explain. Ever hear the asshole "this is just the tip of the iceberg" phrase? Yeah, same concept. These milestones are the tip of the iceberg, but there is so much more underneathe.

If you're afraid of the uncertain, this could be the most terrifying thing to you. You never really know how big a glacier is until you go underwater and explore it (some crazy British guy does this on the Discovery Channel, it's pretty cool), but figuratively speaking is what I really mean. It's all about taking the plunge. You might find a shark, you might find a coral reef ( I don't know if they have those in artic climates, I didn't do much -any- research before writing this....).

If you look back on your life, however long/much you have lived thus far, and you can only remember the mile stones, and not the glaciers, I suggest digging deeper from here on out. I look back on mine, and I see too many tips. If you've seen one tip, you've seen them all - I want to know what else is out/under there. I feel regret for those I have skipped over - they could have been great, and they might not have - I'll never know. This is very similar to the Faustian complex I base most of my life on - is it better to know or not? If you'd rather not know, then fine, float on from one tip to the next. But for those who want to know, take your time and explore what's underneathe. It probably won't be easy all the time, but that doesn't mean it has to be all that hard, and you might encounter some good times and without doubt some bad. But you will atleast know, and most importantly, you won't leave without feeling something real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home