If You Could See Inside...

Friday, April 01, 2011

Widow Outreach Program Ideas

So it has been a long time since I have posted on this crazy thing. I'm writing because I would like to brainstorm about a Widower Outreach Program concept.

A little background: It is no secret to anyone who really knows me that my mother passed away almost 4 years ago. Since then, I have watched my father and other family and friends deal with losing a spouse and I've noticed some patterns of things that are particularly difficult for them. Here is what I have noticed: When someone close to you dies, your family and friends are right there with you for a long time, and eventually, that support tapers off, and the grief sets in - that's when it's really hard. (I realize this is completely normal.) I also know that actively seeking help is exhausting, and when you're grieving, you don't always have energy to find a support group (especially one without a religious association, and if you aren't religious this may be a turn off), get dressed, and muster up the strength and courage to get in your car and go. And what about all the stuff that person's spouse did, and they are no longer here to call the insurance agent, or get the oil changed?

So here is what I'm thinking, what if there were a Widower Outreach Program in place? It would be modeled after the Big Brother/Big Sister organization and the concept is there is a volunteer than periodically checks in with their widower, goes to lunch, chats on the phone, and is just a friend. There needs to be consistently established with this, and the frequency of contact would probably depend on what the volunteer and widower is comfortable with.

Now I know there are several obstacles to get around with a program like this but there are so many similar models out there and, that while they may support a different cause, they serve the same purpose, so I am sure these obstacles can be eliminated or gotten around. So I'm just going to list them out:

-The volunteer cannot be responsible for the widower's health/well being/finances. There obviously has to be some boundaries in place, but keep in mind the end goal: you are a friend to the widower.

-How do you get the widower and volunteer connected? I got to thinking about this and it may be slightly morbid so this program certainly isn't for the faint of heart but what if there were a volunteer at the funeral home (you go there a few times when planning a funeral) asking if it's okay to check in on the widower in a few weeks? Or what if the funeral director were to mention the program during the intake process and assess whether there is interest on the widower's behalf?

-This program I envision does not have religion associated with it. If the volunteer and widower want to discuss that, that is totally fine. But this is not meant to promote any kind of religion. Just friendship and healing.

-I have a feeling there is going to be some restriction on driving in a car with the widower, maybe? Just get that sense from other programs I've been involved in - we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I know there are probably more and they need to be addressed but I'm not worried about that necessarily being a barrier. What my real concern is, and why I'm writing this blog and asking for any and all feedback, is that this would be valuable for someone, and what else could be added to a program like this to add more value? Please, share any and all feedback, send to: andi1889@yahoo.com. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and even more the time to provide any ideas. I think this could be something really great for a lot of people.

Note: I also know I am not qualified to necessarily provide support or counsel - I just have the idea and want to put the pieces in place to make it happen.

Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home