If You Could See Inside...

Monday, June 16, 2008

Boys & Noble

I enjoy spending money. While I don't consider myself completely materialistic, if you strip me of my worldy goods, things will not end well for you. Usually if I spend too much I end up feeling guilty unless I got a really good deal or the shoes were really just that cute. There is one place however that I don't ever feel guilty splurging at. No matter how much I spend, I always walk out of Barnes and Noble excited about whatever book(s) I bought, rushing to get home to sit outside and jump right in. This however, has not been the case during my past few trips.

Every time I go in optimistic, convincing myself, "This time it really is going to be different". It's like a bad relationship you keep going back to that should have ended 3 years ago. But I have the stupid members card I paid 25 bucks for, so I'm locked in. (Thank God that expires at the end of the year, a child would be the equivalent if we were discussing relationships, and children tend to cost more than 25 beans). Just graduating college, I don't want to read anything academic, I want to have just a little fun, for a little while, so I'm after some good chick lit. And seriously, I understand Carrie Bradshaw was a pioneer, but does every pink-covered novel have to be about a thirty-something single female working at a publishing house, meanwhile the author can barely bring a witty plot line to fruition, and her main character is supposed to be successful in the industry? Please.

Before I sound too angry, let me build on this in a more positive light. Maybe this is just what happens as we mature and want different things. Like, with men for example. When we're younger, it's easier to peruse the scene and pick up different men/books and "shop". Maybe we'll read the first chapter, and if we're interested, we'll go ahead with the second date. If it goes really well, maybe we'll commit to them a little more, like with an author, and read another one of their books. Sometimes we'll get brave and pick at the bargain bin. I've had a few good men, and a few more authors that I really stuck to. But neither were good enough to hold my interest long enough for me to pine for their next move, or next book.

I realized tonight, I'm starting to tire of the wandering of the book store. It used to be so enchanting because I never knew what I was going to find. But I'm starting to find the same thing over and over again. I would almost rather stay home and tool around Amazon and do my research first (or just write the damn novel myself), which I really hope isn't the equivalent to online dating. Granted, I personally do have my circle of authors I tend to stick to, (and I have one man that always seems to be around ;-)) but tonight, I just wanted to do something different, and look for a new book. Does that ship sail when we find "our authors", and we're set in our ways? Is this goodbye to the New Fiction/Best Sellers list?

1 Comments:

At 8:08 AM , Blogger dysfunkstional said...

Your always gonna second guess the decision you make. It is how we r. unfortunately. I;m not sure everyone is like this but me and you def r.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home