If You Could See Inside...

Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Letter to Santa Claus

Dear Mr. Claus-

My name is Andrea, I'm from upstate New York, and although I don't necessarily think I've been naughty this year, I would not categorize my behavior as nice. That is not the point of this letter. I actually have a bone to pick with you. It has occured to me, (and hopefully everyone else that is reading this) that you are not real. This has struck me in quite a curious way, and I felt the need to hash it out in writing.

Now, if we want to be specific, I have known you do not exist for quite some time. When I was seven, I asked my brother if he believed in you. My brother could be the worst liar I've ever met, and while his intentions were good, he screwed that one up. (Don't worry Chris, I'm over it). However, at seven years old I tried my best to ignore my brother's poor attempts at lying, and continued to believe. As I grew older, I realized my parents were also bad liars, as the gift tag had the same distinctive hand writing that my mother had. But whatever, I can handle that too.

Here's my issue: Your alleged purpose is to bring good cheer to families, however, you are not real. So what the devil do you think you're doing, or not doing, for that matter? As people get older, they tend to stop getting as excited about Christmas, and it's about the younger, little ones, as they still believe. But I think that Christmas time is a season everyone should take advantage of, to believe in the spirit of you, and to experience good cheer. So that's what I'm asking for this year, for people to just enjoy themselves and those around them.

Sincerly-
Andrea

PS - if the whole good cheer for mankind thing doesn't work out, I'd also enjoy a Nintendo Wii, just sayin.

1 Comments:

At 4:18 PM , Blogger Molly said...

I think this blog can apply to a lot of things in life, such as the importance of family, the belief in the intangible, and finding the beauty in the little things in life. As we get older, we get jaded by all the twists and turns that have been thrown our way and we forget about the most important things, Christmas included. I think now, as adults, we're so consumed in protecting ourselves from disappointment that believing in things is completely out of our realm of thinking, whereas kids don't have that fear, that apprehension. BUT, I'm thankful that, at least in our friendship, we're not consumed with who's going to get the other person the most American Eagle garb for Christmas and having to deal with the ensuing drama. This year (and all the years following) will be different from past Christmases, but sometimes, all you can do is grab onto the little things that make you smile (Hanson Christmas music?).

P.S. Where's the free beer? Bitch. Just for that, I'm returning the fifth season of Friends I was getting you for Christmas, and the American Eagle cable knit sweater.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home