If You Could See Inside...

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Life's Menu


I went out to dinner the other night. The restaurant offered different kinds of seasoning on their entrees. Some were seasoned with pepper, and some with garlic. Others with some leaf-like substance, and others with spice. I watched a man at the table across from me decline the meal with pepper, as he was allergic. I ordered chicken seasoned with garlic, because I love garlic. So what the hell is the point?

We have four seasons in our year. We move because we like some seasons better than others (why can't there be a place that is autumn year round?). I don't know about you, but I always get just a little freaked out when the season changes from autumn to winter. You have to scramble to find boots and your stylish fur coat that hopefully still fits from last year. And not to mention, winter is just plain different than autumn. It's kind of like unchartered territory. Now could anyone imagine that being scary? Nah.

I'm watching my friends fall in and out of love, moving, thinking about moving, and I'm taking it all in, and thinking about love and moving. I'm trying to sort out the love thing, and I'm dealing with my uncharted, unmapped life. And it's all about changing seasons. You're suddenly single, it's suddenly chilly, you wake up and you're in love, and you wake up and can go back to sleep because it's a snow day. I think just as long as it's not Suddenly Susan on your TV, we're in good shape. Some do better with different seasons, some can't handle some (i.e. the afore mentioned man with pepper). And I think that is all okay. Are we really programmed to deal with all seasons of life? Aren't we allowed to choke a little if the pepper is just a little to spicy? And sometimes, some seasonings are an acquired taste. I think the key, really, is not being afraid to order something new off the menu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home