If You Could See Inside...

Sunday, September 16, 2007

On Location


You know that show Myth Busters? Yeah, it’s cool. Proving you can’t do random shit with a hot air balloon or whatever the hell. It’s never really anything useful that they’re busting, but maybe that’s precisely the point; you get away from the things that matter. That’s perfectly fine sometimes, but in some cases, you can’t do that and you need your daily dose of real life. That’s why once in a while, they should crack some myth that would prove to be a little more productive in regards to our daily life. I have even thought about proposing their first real life myth! It is as follows: You can run away from your problems by moving to a different location.

Now for all the wise ones, I realize, this is applicable in cases in which you’re about to be struck by a vehicle. But I’m talking about more introverted issues; insecurities, people “in your horrible town”, finding nothing that satisfies you. The latter could perhaps be my favorite one. I know of many in my town who despise the place because there isn’t ever anything to do and the center of life is Dunkin Donuts. I am semi-guilty of that as well. However, the town is what you bloody make of it. Fun doesn’t always (or almost ever) find you; you have to look for it. I’ve had plenty of enjoyable Friday nights tooling around at a playground or just walking around the town. But that’s because I finally pulled the stick out of my ass and looked for satisfaction. Perhaps you should do the same.

Okay, so let’s say you have fallen into the category of those who have looked for fun and have exhausted the town’s charm. Fair enough, A for effort. Now, you want to move away and think that everything will come up roses when you get to your new location. You poor soul. There is work involved in all this, and yeah, it’s scary. I always think before I go somewhere new that it’s going to be totally different than anywhere I’ve ever been. But I’m always shocked because I’m wrong (imagine). Everywhere, people have the same problems. When recently visiting a new city, I saw a newspaper article about why so many qualified people don’t find jobs. Sound familiar? I walk the streets and I hear people on their cell phones, freaking out about relationships and money and getting home in time to take the dog out. There are still homeless people, there is still racism, there are still happy couples, and thank God there is still a Starbucks within 5 minutes. Maybe I’m the insane one to let this kind of thing blow my mind every time, but it’s true. I guess the most prominent shocker is that, one day (soon), I’m going to be moving somewhere else, and it’s going to take work and efforts that I’ve never had to put forth, and even then there is no guarantee. The line between old and new problems becomes very blurry. I think the word “problems” is also quite shitty in this situation. These things aren’t horrible, they are life. You can’t escape problems, but they also don’t have to become your life. I’m fearful of sounding cliché, but places, and life, are so totally what you make of them.

Oh and p.s. – everyone can remind me of this blog the next time I bitch about Albany ☺

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home